April 6, 2012

Tutorial - What I Do in RAW, What I Do in Photoshop

TUTORIAL

What I Do in Raw, What I Leave for Photoshop

(excerpt from the book Stephen Johnson on Digital Photography unreleased revised electronic version)

I use a RAW Processor to interpret the Raw data with the intention of developing it into the most useable form possible for precision editing in Photoshop with its extraordinarily powerful processing tools.

My basic intent is to draw out the image the information I need from the Raw data stream, taking care of basic tasks, moving the rendition toward my intent, but always with the mantra of preserving detail and options for careful and precise editing in Photoshop. Those basic tasks include color balance and exposure, any rotation needed, and correcting chromatic aberration.

The following is a basic breakdown of the issues I pay attention to at the Raw Processor and Photoshop stages of deriving, then editing the photograph.

RAW Processor Image Development

  • basic look and feel with Exposure, Recovery, Fill and custom Point Curve
  • careful highlight and show detail revealed and held
  • basic color balance
  • detailed highlight recovery if needed (Adjustment Brush)
  • lens corrections (chromatic aberration)
  • horizon straightening

Photoshop Image Editing

  • Adjustment Layers for Non-Destructive Editing
  • careful, deeply controllable sharpening
  • precise tonal control
  • geo-specific editing with  extreme control
  • very careful color editing and Hue adjustment
  • b&w interpretation through the Black and White Adjustment Layer

aperture

No comments:

Post a Comment